Basic ADA requirements for Local Agencies/Public Entities
1. Designate an ADA Coordinator (50 employees or more). 28 CFR §35.107(a)
If the local government has fewer than 50 employees, it is not required to have an ADA Coordinator. HOWEVER, it is strongly recommended that an ADA coordinator or ADA designee be appointed.
2. Develop and post an ADA Policy Statement. 28 CFR §35.106.
3. Develop and post Grievance Procedures/Complaint Procedures. 28 CFR §35.107(b).
4. Complete a Self-evaluation of current services, policies, and practices. 28 CFR §35. 105.
5. Develop a Transition Plan. 28 CFR §35.150(d). (50 employees or more)
Entities with less than 50 employees are not exempt from ensuring their programs, services, and activities are accessible to persons with disabilities. These entities are not subject to some of the same administrative requirements (designating an ADA Coordinator and developing a Transition Plan) – although it would be in their best interest to do something similar.